By Brent Michael, Rock At Night Tampa Correspondent
Venue: Busch Gardens Wine & Food Festival Concert Series–March 18, 2017
Young the Giant is an up and coming band, or an established headliner, depending on your point of view. Formed in 2004 as The Jakes, the name change became official in January 2010. The lineup, with Sameer Gadhia as lead vocalist and frontman, has remained stable since 2008.
As part of Busch Gardens’ Wine and Food Festival Concert Series, this was a new experience for them, playing with Montu, Falcon’s Fury, and the defunct Gwazi in their view – sometimes the Beatlesesque screams of the girls in the audience coincided with the screaming rollercoaster riders, like a faraway echo. They took to it well though, providing a flashy kaleidoscope of colors and sounds ranging from melancholy to driving, with side trips to psychedelia! It was clear the audience knew all the songs from their latest release and title of their tour, Home of the Strange, many of which they played to the crowd’s delight.
Here is a schedule of the entertainment that will take the stage at Busch Gardens:
- Saturday, March 4: Daughtry
- Sunday, March 5: Andy Grammer
- Saturday, March 11: Goo Goo Dolls
- Sunday, March 12: Kool & The Gang
- Saturday, March 18: Young the Giant
- Sunday, March 19: Jason Isbell & John Hiatt Trio
- Saturday, March 25: NBC’s The Voice finalists Craig Wayne Boyd & Adam Wakefield
- Sunday, March 26: El Gran Combo
- Saturday, April 1: DNCE
- Sunday, April 2: Walk Off The Earth
- Saturday, April 8: TBA
- Sunday, April 9: Daya and Matt Nathanson
- Saturday, April 15: TBA
- Sunday, April 16: Newsboys
- Saturday, April 22: Gilberto Santa Rosa
- Sunday, April 23: Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Saturday, April 29: TBA
- Sunday, April 30: TBA
The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission to Rock At Night and the photographer. Use of any image is a violation of the United States and International Copyright laws.